Presently Westminster have 25 Green Flags and 3 Green Heritage Site Accreditations (2019/20). The Housing contract hold a further 3 Green Flags.
Continental Landscapes submit all the Green Flag Award entries on behalf of Westminster. This includes writing the management plan and submitting new entries.
As part of our commitment to Westminster City Council, we maintain all our parks to the Green Flag standard, irrespective of whether or not they have been entered for a Green Flag Award.
The Green Flag Award Scheme is run by Keep Britain Tidy and is the benchmark against which the quality of public parks and green spaces can be measured. It also recognises the diversity and value of green space to the local community. The park, garden or green space is judged against 8 criteria which cover everything from access through to sustainability and marketing. Listed below are the eight assessment criteria:
- A welcoming place – how to create a sense that people are positively welcomed in the park
- Healthy, safe & secure – how best to ensure that the park is a safe & healthy environment for all users
- Clean & well maintained – what people can expect in terms of cleanliness, facilities & maintenance
- Sustainability – how a park can be managed in environmentally sensitive ways
- Conservation & heritage – the value of conservation & care of historical heritage
- Community involvement – ways of encouraging community participation and acknowledging the community’s role in a park’s success
- Marketing – methods of promoting a park successfully
- Management – how to reflect all of the above in a coherent & accessible management plan or strategy and ensure it is implemented