The first ‘Safer Urban Driving’ course was delivered in conjunction with fleet management specialists Fleet Source and was fully funded by Transport for London. This course is available as part of our membership of the Freight Operator Recognition Scheme, which Continental Landscapes Ltd is a gold accredited member.
Drivers, Managers and Supervisors from our Bracknell Forest Council, London Borough of Richmond on Thames and Wandsworth Borough Council operations all took part in this registered course which counts as 7 hours towards their mandatory vocational license training requirements.
The course consists of two 3.5 hour modules; the first module is classroom based theory, and the second module, an outdoor practical session where drivers get on bikes and get a cyclists view of the road.
Theory Module (3.5 hours)
This part of the course focuses on sharing the road safely and highlights the vulnerability of other road users. It also explains how the London streetscape is evolving and encourages more walking and cycling. Subjects covered include:-
• The driver’s role in the Fleet Operator Recognition Scheme
• Urban driving, changing streetscape and route planning
• Vulnerable road users: pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyclists
• Sharing the road, observation devices and cycle training
• Collision avoidance and defensive driving
• Hazard recognition and perception
• Driver responsibility and attitude
Practical Module (3.5 hours)
• After the initial bicycle control skills training, drivers ride on bikes to areas of potential conflict including junctions, traffic lights and Advanced Stop Lines. Bicycles and personal protective equipment is also provided. Subjects covered include:-
• Introducing active travel, driver fitness and health
• Giving drivers a cyclist’s perspective of riding on busy roads and an understanding of the issues faced by vulnerable road users
• Recognising best driving practice around cyclists
• Practical on road experience at areas of potential driver/cyclist conflict including road junctions, traffic lights and Advanced Stop Lines
Not only did all candidates thoroughly enjoy the training, but it also allows them to see the world from a vulnerable road user’s perspective. This is an invaluable part of our holistic driver training program, giving our drivers the skills to deal with modern traffic conditions in a professional manner.